Graduate English Address: “Our Humanity.”
碩士英語演講:「我們的人性」。
Candidate for the degree of Master in Public Administration: Yurong Luanna Jiang.
公共行政碩士學位候選人:蔣雨融(Luanna Jiang)。
Last summer, when I was doing my internship in Mongolia, I got a call from two classmates in Tanzania.
去年夏天,我在蒙古實習時接到兩位坦桑尼亞同學的電話。
They had a very urgent question: How to use their washing machine?
他們問了一個很緊急的問題:如何使用他們的洗衣機?
Because all the labels were in Chinese, and Google kept translating a big button as Spinning Ghost Mode.
因為所有標籤都是中文,而谷歌一直把一個大按鈕翻譯成「旋轉幽靈模式」。
There we were, an Indian and a Thai calling me, a Chinese in Mongolia, to decipher a washer in Tanzania.
當時的情況是,一個印度人和一個泰國人打給我這個在蒙古的中國人,請我解讀一台在坦桑尼亞的洗衣機。
And we all study together here at Harvard.
而我們都在哈佛一起學習。
That moment reminds me of something I used to believe when I was a kid, that the world was becoming a small village.
那一刻讓我想起小時候相信的一件事:世界正在變成一個小村莊。
I remember being told we would be the first generation to end hunger and poverty for humankind.
我記得有人告訴我們,我們將成為第一代終結人類飢餓和貧困的世代。
My program at Harvard is International Development.
我在哈佛就讀的是國際發展專業。
It was built on this exact beautiful vision that humanity rises and falls as one.
這個專業建立在一個美麗的願景之上:人類命運與共。
When I met my 77 classmates from 32 different countries,
當我遇見來自32個不同國家的77位同學時,
the countries I knew, only as colorful shapes on a map, turned into real people with laughter, dreams, and the perseverance to survive the long winter in Cambridge.
那些我原本只在地圖上看到的彩色形狀所代表的國家,變成了有笑聲、有夢想,和有毅力在劍橋熬過漫長冬季的真實人物。
We danced through each other’s traditions and carried the weight of each other’s worlds.
我們舞動彼此的傳統,也承載著彼此世界的重量。
Global challenges suddenly felt personal.
全球性的挑戰突然讓人感到切身相關。
If there’s a woman anywhere in the world who cannot afford a period pad, it makes me poor.
如果世界上任何一個地方有女性買不起衛生棉,我也會感到貧困。
If a girl who skips school out of fear of harassment that threatens my dignity.
如果有女孩因害怕騷擾而逃學,我的尊嚴也會受到威脅。
If a little boy dies in a war that he didn’t start and never understood, part of me dies with him.
如果有小男孩死於一場他未發起也從未理解的戰爭,我的一部分也會隨他死去。
But today, that promise of a connected world is giving way to division, fear, and conflict.
但如今,這個彼此連結的世界的承諾正在讓位於分裂、恐懼和衝突。
We’re starting to believe those who think differently, vote differently, or pray differently, whether they are across the ocean or sitting right next to us, are not just wrong.
我們開始認為,那些想法不同、投票不同或信仰不同的人——無論他們是在大洋彼岸還是就坐在我們旁邊——不只是錯誤的。
We mistakenly see them as evil.
我們錯誤地將他們視為邪惡。
But it doesn’t have to be this way.
但事情並非必須如此。
What I’ve gained most from Harvard isn’t just calculus or regression analysis. It’s to sit with discomfort.
我從哈佛收穫最多的並不只是微積分或迴歸分析,而是學會如何忍受不適。
Listen deeply and stay soft in hard times.
靜心聆聽,於逆境中溫潤如初。
Because if we still believe in a shared future, let us not forget those whom we label as enemies. They too, are human.
因為如果我們仍相信共同的未來,就不要忘記那些被我們標籤為「敵人」的人——他們同樣是人。
In seeing their humanity, we find our own.
看見他們的人性,我們才能找到自己的人性。
In the end, we do not rise by proving each other wrong.
最終,我們的提升並非來自證明彼此錯誤。
We rise by refusing to let one another go.
不離不棄,方能共同奮起。
So, class of 2025, when the world feels stuck in Spinning Ghost Mode.
所以,2025屆的同學們,當世界彷彿陷入「旋轉幽靈模式」。
Just remember, as we leave this campus, we carry everyone we’ve met, across wealth and poverty, cities and villages, faith and doubt.
請記住,當我們離開校園時,我們攜帶着遇見的每一個人——跨越貧富、城市與鄉村、信仰與懷疑。
They speak different languages and dream different dreams. And yet, they’ve all become part of us.
他們說着不同的語言,做着不同的夢,但都已成為我們的一部分。
You may disagree with them. But hold on to them, as we are bound by something deeper than belief, our shared humanity.
你也許不認同他們的觀點。但請珍惜這些分歧,因為我們被比信仰更深刻的東西束縛在一起 —— 那就是我們共同的人性。
Congratulations, class of 2025.
恭喜你們,2025屆的同學們。